Wednesday 10 June 2015

Recipe no. 231

OK, let me bite the bullet here.

What kind of story can you write for an anthology dedicated to the memory of Terry Pratchett? How do you honour a person that meant so much to you, a person that educated you, soothed you, made you laugh out loud and made you hide a little inner smile when there was nothing else to smile about in your life?

Should you write a sad story, given the fact that he’s barely gone for several weeks now? Something about death and mourning, maybe? Should you, instead, given his positive take on life and death and, literally, everything, write some humorous, lighthearted piece?  

I was torn for a bit. Then I thought it doesn’t have to be one or the other – it just has to point to something meaningful in Sir Terry’s life and career. So I thought of his role as an influencer and I decided to go for that. My character – who is in very little ways Terry Pratchett – shares with him the depth of the universe he once created and the impact his books had on the most unexpected people. Then I recalled the moment when I found out about Sir Terry’s death, and I thought something like “Nah, this is just a trick. I bet he simply found a way to escape our reality and now he’s enjoying life in some nice neighbourhood of Ankh-Morpork!”

Without any more spoilers… I put the two together, added a teaspoon of salt and stirred thoroughly, and I came up with “The Prime Factor”. Which, I hope, lives up to its purpose.

This being said, I’m hugely excited to be part of this project of Laura and Sorin, and I know I’m in good company. I wish the best of luck to everyone that’s still working on their stories, and I can’t wait to read every single one of them.


Cris

No comments:

Post a Comment